Thursday, November 18, 2010

Helpful GPS Tool

          We all may have noticed the shortcut "DNR Garmin" on our computer screens in the computer lab.  This application was created by the Minnesota DCNR.  In my hiking blogs I've been using Google Earth and just been wondering how I may get my hiking tracks into ArcMap.  DNR Garmin will allow me to do this and more it seems.  Opening a .gpx (GPS file extension name) with "DNR Garmin" made visible information I knew had to be there such as latitude, longitude, projection, time and altitude.


I'm still very new to this program but it seems it was not really created simply for the task I wanted it to do.  It can upload tracks and waypoint from ArcMap to the GPS unit.  Very interesting.  As I explore a little more with it I will share the information here.

No comments:

Post a Comment