Tuesday, November 9, 2010

HIke: Hemlocks Natural Area

         The last hike I went on was to an area called Hemlocks Natural Area in Tuscarora State Park.  This hike is further south and west than Flat Rock in Colonel Denning State Park and not to far from where the TurnPike passes through the first tunnel traveling west.  The hike is unique, it takes you through a never logged, virgin tract of Hemlock pine.  Hard to see but between the two yellow points are this hike and Flat Rock.


          After the hike I discovered a little more about the Garmin unit that I'm using.  It logs elevation data and more in the .gpx file when running the unit application "tracks".  While in Google Earth I realized this information can be displayed in a convenient chart including your elevation along with other data.  A nice little arrow trails along the track you traveled displaying the information gathered on the Garmin GPS unit.
 
 

         This was a truly unique hike.  I did not capture the drive to the spot on Hemlock Road with the GPS unit.  The drive was one of the most interesting segments of this adventure.  At the height of altitude on Hemlock Road (2200ft) you can see Flat Rock (~2100ft) looking (NE) in the distance.  Explore this area ~40°14'06.96, 77°38'39.80.  I did find a shapefile and Google kmz file for the Appalachian Trail which will I will likely include in my future hiking posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment